Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Fair

I have literally been looking forward to this day the whole summer. In my youth I thoroughly despised the fair, considering it the orgiastic paragon of everything I considered repulsive, common, American. But as I've grown older and wiser and more content with my ever-expanding waistline, I've come to terms with my deep love of fast food on sticks; and corn art; and hideous, sweaty teenagers; and beautiful, buttery maidens; and the sight of obese adults, gripping onto leashes, herding like cattle their squirming offspring.

(At this point I should forward any readers to this super fun essay about the Illinois State Fair by David Foster Wallace.)

So here are some photos I took of this weekend's excursion to the fair. I just watched a Vivian Maier documentary last weekend and was inspired to try my hand at square aspect ratios and "street photography," i.e. taking advantage of my status as a young (relatively benign-looking) woman to be a creeper with a camera. It was fun and I pooped a lot the day after.

(There are over 100 photos so prepare for a long journey.)





I drew this on her two nights prior. I also drew "#MCAD" in giant letters running all the way down her calf, but she wiped that off as soon as she could get away. Honestly, a tragedy.


One of our first stops was Sweet Martha's Cookies, aka the greatest cookie company in the entire world. Apparently each cookie has 100 calories, because good things don't always happen to good people. I had 7 for breakfast. 


I found this particular dish to be the most photogenic. The sour cream was excellent at catching light, and the brisket and cheese below provided a nice contrast. Four of us devoured this in under 5 minutes.




These are some strangers at a show we saw. My friend and I were interested in seeing the lumberjack show, because we are lumbersexual. We got there a little early and saw a bit of the dog show before. It's amazing how little crowds change from year-to-year. This photo could be from the early 2000s, honestly. 


This was the nicest, best, most talented dog.







This was in the eco building (I think that's what it's called?): a giant sculpture made of plastic bags. The year before it was a giant sculpture made of plastic bottles. I'm thinking next year it'll be a giant sculpture made of breast implants. And if they don't make that, then I will.


This might be the best thing at the fair. It's got everything a girl could want: hot and cold temperatures, soft and hard textures, sweetness, saltiness, coupons, cinnamon, and enough sugar to induce diabetes. I shared a piece with my boyfriend, and we devoured it in under 5 minutes. Honestly, I think everything I bought I devoured in under 5 minutes. You could say I eat belligerently.




Is it weird that I like to photograph strangers? Or is it, like....urban as fuck.

Literally heaven.


So there was this rollercoaster ride. It looks like it wants to die.

"Kill me"



A bunch of country singers' heads on sticks. In case you weren't already aware, the "on-a-stick" aesthetic (which incidentally is probably among my top five aesthetics) was once a criticism of the Minnesota State Fair, but has now been transformed into ironic postmodern self-reflexivity. Now, even humans are on sticks. There is nothing that can come next: this is the apex of stick aesthetic.




I think this would be a nice photo were his feet not cut off. But he's got a cool look. 


Is this photo from 2015 or 1999? I don't know. You decide. 


I've been searching for a while now for a "Greetings from Minnesota" postcard that's as beautiful as this sign, but I've not been fruitful. Let me know if you are familiar with a hole-in-the-wall or an Etsy that stocks something like this. I have a few dollars.



The contemporary cultural zeitgeist, captured in a photograph of children.


A whole bunch of people who just gave birth to humans. Trash pregnant people are some of my favorite people to look for at the state fair. None of the people here are trashy; I just thought I'd mention that.


A hawaiian torta. Also accepts coupons. Also amazingly delicious and rich in a variety of textures/flavors.


I'm not really a cheese curds girl, but there's something special about buying a giant bucket of oil and fat and sharing it with your friends. 


He was really happy to see this cabbage.


Award-winning potatoes!


Award-winning pumpkin!


Hidden among the joy and friendship at the state fair is death and destruction. We mourn for Snow White.





Minnesota is internationally-renowned for our timely and highly referential corn art. As an artist, this is what I aspire to do in my work.



And here we've finally ended up at the uncanny canyon. Unlike the uncanny valley, the uncanny canyon is a hole in the earth from which you cannot escape, no, never pull yourself out of, never forget, always remember. If your soul is not properly tethered to your flesh, the devil may drag you into his pit from which you will never escape. Please view the following photographs with discretion.









It's over. You're out. Breathe.


They literally don't even check for IDs at the fair. The light here is nice, though.


He loves having a photographer girlfriend. He fucking. Loves. It.


This was my second favorite bunny.





There were llamas at the fair. Llamas are so stupid. This one kept eating the railing. 



This was my favorite bunny. All hail. All hail Pope Bun.


I wish I got a better photo, but this guy's shirt says "Beiberhole."

Dad?

"Kill me"


Most people at the fair don't give a flying fuck.





Ayy


We went one a weekend (not advised) and there were so many people. Too many people. WE NEED A NEW PLAGUE.


This is my favorite stand that I photograph every year but have never actually eaten at. One day I will.





I stood outside the corn stand with my boyfriend, and we observed the inner workings of this production. I've never really noticed this before, but there is so much child labor at the fair. And I wonder how they recruit all these high school kids (and younger) to work so intensely, in such awful environments, for what's likely very little pay. These kids were shucking corn at speeds so high their hands turned into fleshy blurs, and all was silent, except of course for the shucking and a radio that played top 40 music. It's a surreal moment to observe high schoolers working with their hands and throwing around corn to "Turn Down For What." 







These are the friends I went with. They were delightful. 





I love this couple. They look so Midwestern.



Mombod.




That's it for now. My card became full so I had to use my phone to take pictures. Second installment coming soon (when I have reliable Internet)!

No comments:

Post a Comment