Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Favorites

Each month I will be posting a list of my favorite things — general things that I experienced or saw or read or whatever. Things I was inspired by and will become a part of my personal collection of interesting, random things that I can draw upon when I want to seem cool or erudite.

Parks and Recreation

I have been watching a lot of Parks and Rec. I think I finished upwards of four seasons in about two and a half weeks. (Yes, I know I'm a little late to the party.)

Edouard Manet

One of my favorite painters from history. I first fell in love with Modernism as an artistic movement two years ago when I took a class at UCLA with art historian George Baker, who was probably the best teacher I have ever had, ever, in my life. I didn't really like Manet before, since I thought his work seemed unfinished and boring, but Baker was so extremely passionate about Manet (and about art history in general) and I learned so much from him.  

This quarter, at MCAD, I'm currently taking an art history course in Modernism onwards. We just finished our lecture on Manet and the Impressionists last week, and my love for him was reignited.

Al Jarnow

We learned about him as a stop-motion animator in my media class, and I did a presentation on him. Here's an amazing documentary on his work:


Asymmetric Cycles: The Work Of Al Jarnow from numerogroup on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment